12 Basic Web Design Preperation Steps:
1. You need to buy a domain name under your name.
You need to provide domain provider login information in order to set up DNS entry for your site.
If you already have a domain name and this domain name needs to transfer a new hosting area ( if this is the case; from one to another hosting area) you need to supply domain company information such as godaddy.com or 1and1.com, customer ID and password in order to set up correct DNS setting.
2. Buy a hosting package under your name.
For a WordPress site your hosting package has to support PHP5.
Supply your designer your hosting package information; to understand what your hosting supports (program languages such as php5 or others). If you do not like to share your hosting login information, then you need to supply this two information:
a – mySQL database information
b – FTP account information.
3. Specify navigation page link names (Link names such as: About us, Services, Gallery, Products, Contact, etc.)
4. Supply to you designer your a website tagline (a short slogan, a descriptive information about the site).
5. Supply a few good keywords related to your website what people might use search terms to find your website.
6. Site title: A short sentence, one line. This will be place on search engines too, so choose something informative.
7. If you like to sell anything online via PayPal, then supply HTML button code.
8. If you like to use any Social network buttons; Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube, Flickr, Linkedin supply URL address and user name. Such as DesignbyNur Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/DesignbyNur/170915639624417
9. If you prefer using a specific font on your website, then supply the font name. Be aware fonts are limited on the web. You may choose any Google Web Fonts however. www.google.com/webfonts/Hundreds of free, open-source fonts optimized for the web.
10. Describe what layout you prefer for your blog such as: center one page style, two column, 3 column style, full page style. You can look at a sample web page elements here.
11. Specify website colors to your designer. If you prefer any specific color for your web site design, such as page background color, banner color, headline font colors, link colors; you can look at web safe color chart here.
12. Provide page contents to your designer. Your text can be long or short. If it is too long, you can send it as PDF.
What information you should supply to your designer?
For better connection to your designer, you need to share some information:
• Your address and phone number
• Your current email address and an alternative email address like gmail account
• For online meetings SKYPE ID, for MAC users Messages or Google Talk/Hangout
• To publish the website online FTP account information: user name and password
• For blog website hosting account information: user name and password, in order to create a new database
• To transfer your domain from one to another hosting area: domain name, customer ID and password
Keep in mind too much information might not be a wise choice for a new website. Long articles are hard to read online, if you have long text documents, it is better to put these files as pdf, so visitors can download, print and read it in their free time. Select your data, share only necessary ones.
To avoid copyright problems only use your own photos or buy stock images, never use any music or video file without permission.
If you are not familiar with technical terms here, please look up the word on the web glossary here